Monday 11 January 2010

My expereinces of technology in language learning

Well, there would be nothing wrong if I call myself technology immigrant since I'm an amateur in this filed. I am not involved in any online community network, I prefer calling someone than writing SMS, I also do not write many e-mails as well. I would be more than happy if someone could download songs for me.

In my teaching life also, I avoid using new technology. I just use e-book, powerpoint, you-tube and some online language games. Also, there's no e-learning system in our school. So I can say that my school is not that much member of CALL community.

Since I lack so much of computer-oriented teaching, I hope to learn much from this course. I want to know how I can use wikies/flickers for P3-P4 students. I expect this course can make me technology native from technology immigrant. I just blow in myself with anger when I can't find the resources I am looking for on the internet.

3 comments:

  1. Hello - For an amateur you certainly seem to use the computer a lot! I'd love to hear more about the online language games that you mention - can you put up some links?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Namaste! I'm Jessy, one of your group members. I'm not that familiar with "high-tech" neither. So, hopefully, in the next few months, as a group, the three of us could coorperate with each other and create...um...something...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Second life is just a discovery of new world for me : a world that dazzled me at the first sight. The interface caught me by surprise as it was a very fine representative of real world. It attracted me like a magnet and on the top of it, I was overwhelmed to see my avatar and far more excited to see my classmates' avatars who started appearing from here and there. Since it was my first time on second life, I had to ask Robbie everytime, when I didn't understand what to do next. So beginners, like me, really need help otherwise they would give up sooner or later. Similar thing happened to me, when I lost tracks every now and then and soon that world which filled me with excitement started baffling me. So, I called Christoph in to ask "What am I supposed to do in Second Life?" because I was just flying here and there, doing nothing except chatting.
    After that night's first trial, I have come to know more about second life. Well, second life is not only about chatting, it an endless world of discoveries and once you have learnt the skills to dive into this discoveries, you will dive deeper and deeper.
    But, we have to be uterly careful while introducing this type of technology to students. First of all, we have to address the above question "What am I supposed to do in Second Life?" We should very clearly set out goals for students. They should be told in clear terms what they are expected to do. For my students, I will not use second life just for chatting with their classmates, but for something productive, creative and meaningful.
    Besides, all these we need to remind them of netiquetes every now and then. Otherwise, it will mar the very purpose of using second life.

    ReplyDelete